Week Ten Top Teams List (11/07/2005):
- USC-Remember when they kept falling behind early in games? The reverse is happening now. Every season under coach Carroll, USC has been able to improve upon themselves as the season rolled along. Rough final schedule stretch will get them ready for a big bowl game.
- Texas-On Monday morning mailed thank you cards to Miami. "The Narrative" looks prophetic right about now. Right now their schedule looks like Ohio State and the 11 nobodies. They're still really good, schedule be damned.
- Notre Dame-The Irish remind me of the 2002 USC team; two early losses, then realized they're great, and finished exceedingly strong.
- Georgia-The quarterback's back. Let's see how they weather their remaining schedule.
- Miami-A very shaky fifth here. Offense needs help, but took advantage of most of their opportunities and forced Marcus Vick into a Zabransky-like performance.
- Virginia Tech-Not as bad as they played. Will probably fall after confidence was shaken and season ruined. That's how most CFB teams respond to similar predicaments, at least.
- Penn State-Defense looks like it's for real, at least against opponents who know how to run. Better than expected on offense, find ways to score.
- California-Tough loss in overtime on the road in bad weather at a crazy venue. Joe Ayoob's on-the-job training hasn't been so smooth.
- Alabama-They keep winning, but they're leaving too much to chance.
- Ohio State-Really catching stride. Ted Ginn has been unleashed.
- Louisville-Quietly winning.
- UCLA-Probably on their way off the list after getting shelled. Waiting to see how they respond. Still have a fine offense.
- Oregon-Beat a pretty good team with their backup quarterback. Only loss is to USC.