Week thirteen top teams list (12/01/2005):
- USC-Win and they're in.
- Texas-Would have remained #2 here even with a loss to Texas A&M. Funky option attack caught them off guard but they managed over the course of the game to find ways to win. Good team, eh?
- Notre Dame-Survived a trap game against Stanford. Almost savagelike in their proficiency on game winning or last minute drives.
- Virginia Tech-Miami performance looking more and more like an aberration than symptomatic of serious flaws.
- Penn State-I still can't believe it. Glad that they're back, though. I'm curious what 2006 brings.
- Ohio State-Rounded into fine form when it counted: the end of the regular season.
- Auburn-Inconsistency hurts them here. Remain the cream of the SEC crop, however.
- Oregon-Earn some points for getting past the injury to their starting quarterback. I thought they'd fall back to the pack. Oops.
- Georgia-Too conservative at times in very winnable close games (South Carolina, Georgia Tech). Would be much higher if they were a little more cutthroat.
- UCLA-Fresno State was in this spot last week, then had a major boo boo. Can UCLA do the miraculous?
- Fresno State-Lesson learned: never put all your eggs in one basket.
- Louisville-All they do is score touchdowns.
- LSU-They get their shot against Georgia on Saturday.
- Miami-As always, they contend. Just aren't an elite team this year.
- West Virginia-Replacing Minnesota as the NCAA's best one-sided run offense.